martes, 18 de noviembre de 2014

Last awoken

The head is killing me. I can't move. I can't see. I don't know where I am, or what happened. I try to see and the pain in my socket is like I had my eye teared out, so I close it again and wait for the pain to calm. When it has reduced to a numbing feeling I try and open it slowly, almost only a slit, and that way, I can slowly start seeing.

I see a black immensity, framed by smoking ruins of a roof. There's burned beams coming out, like blackened wooden ribs from a stone corpse. There's no roof anymore, so that has to be the sky. Immense, black, dotted by millions of little stars.
For a moment, I have the feeling that they're not but holes in a far, far away wall, with evil, greedy beings looking through them. For a moment, I feel as they are looking at me, but then I don't feel that anymore.
Half my body is hurting so much I can barely stand it, and I realize I could open only one eye.
Slowly, painfully, I try to move my hand to my face, but nothing happens. I try the other, hurting, hand, and its shadow blocks the sky. It's thicker and coarser than I remember, and when I put it over my left eye, the one I couldn't open, horror snatches my heart when I feel only an empty socket.
I've left my arm fall again and wonder how much injured am I. I can feel my lips and throat dry, my joints numb and cracking. I'm missing my left eye.
And I can't feel my right leg or my right arm.
I feel like I were to cry, but my one-eyed vision is just as clear.
Slowly, slowly, I turn my head. I'm lying in some kind of stone table, in a kind of house. It has been burned down. There are other tables, glass bottles, alembics, little ovens, boxes. The air smells like burned wood, smoke, ash, roasted meat...
I close my eye and I feel the crying but not the tears, and sobs grasp my throat.
It all calms down. Pain is slowly disappearing, just as strength is.
I think I'm dying...

And there's a thought: "They left you to die".
Out of nowhere, out of no one's mouth, just like that. "They left me to die". They burned this house down, with me inside it, and left me for dead. Something stirs inside me, not sadness, not just anger, but hate. I can't remember them, I can't even remember me, but this one thought is the only thing linking me to my past, to myself, and it's so, so... I roar, but what comes out of my dried lips is but a weak snarl.

But this hate is making me feeling more alive that anything I've felt since I woke up, so I embrace it, open my only eye despite the pain, and try to get up. 
I realize I've got only one arm and one leg as I fall. They left me maimed, one-eyed, half-dead, inside this fucking burning house and left me to die.

"Revenge"

Yes. That's what I'm going to enact on them. I'll find'em, I'll remember'em, I'll find'em, and I'll burn'em alive!

"Left"

I look left and I see an anvil, there's a mechanical-kind of arm, barely illuminated by the embers left by the fire, and then a bright, white, pale light illuminates everything. I roll to look up and see the full moon just came over the broken roof, good enough light.
I roll back and crawl to the anvil, take the arm and realize my own arm is also mechanical. What have they done to me?

"Golem. Left you. Revenge"

I'm recovering some memories, I remember how this arm is supposed to work, I remember what some of the substances in the alembic and bottles are, I remember how to write some runes to redirect and concentrate the power.

The moon is directly above me when I finally manage to connect the arm to my stump.

"Continue"

Of course I'm going to continue. I'll get my revenge even if I have to make my own body. I'll make a second leg, I'll make my own blood. 

"Revenge. Live."

This body of metal and wood, a golem's body, will get me my revenge.

"Relive us"

...
I'll live again.

"Relive US"

...

No hay comentarios: